Not-To-Be-Missed Places in New Zealand

Not-To-Be-Missed Places in New Zealand

Of all the places I’ve visited and written about, this was a particularly challenging list to put together, as all of New Zealand is simply breathtaking. It’s best described as the country that has it all – mountains, lakes, glaciers, coves, beaches, bustling cities, and more. So, after much deliberation, here are the top must-see places in New Zealand.


This seaside capital is unlike anything with its quirky, arty personality, hip side streets, pop-up restaurants, and weekend markets. Not only does Wellington offer you spectacular views of the jagged coastline and panoramic views of the city from Mt Victoria, but with more eateries per square metre than New York City, it’s definitely one for the foodies.

Cape Palliser

This coastal area is approximately 2 hours’ drive from Wellington and it’s the perfect place to view some of the country’s sea life. The drive from Wellington sees you winding through the infamous Rimatukas before reaching the stretch of spectacular coastline.

Hokitika Gorge

Situated in New Zealand’s South Island, Hokitika Island is home to a unique cocktail of glacier water, plankton, and few other natural ingredients which gives the river its vibrant blue colour. There are several walking trails around the gorge, and if you’re feeling brave you can take a dip in the freezing water.

Mount Maunganui

Often voted as one of the best beaches in New Zealand, Mount Maunganui is both perfect getaway and cool seaside town with its trendy eateries. The iconic views from atop the mount have become synonymous with New Zealand, and the views of the turquoise water and brilliant white sands make the climb all the more worth it. I don’t think it’s possible, but if you do get tired of the spectacular views, you can always give online gambling New Zealand a shot in your down time!

Waiheke Island

Only a 45 minute ferry ride from the Auckland CBD, Waiheke Island is the perfect way to experience a tropical paradise without venturing too far. Besides the palm trees, white sand beaches, and incredible coast, the island also produces some of New Zealand’s finest wines so a tasting session at least one vineyard has to be a priority!


If you’re a massive Lord of the Rings fan like me, a visit to Hobbiton is absolutely imperative. The Shire is exactly what you would expect, and you’ll feel instantly whisked away to Middle Earth. Wander around the tiny houses, sip bear at the Green Dragon Inn, and enjoy the ultimate Lord of the Rings experience.

Cathedral Cove

This marine reserve located on the Coromandel peninsula is another of New Zealand’s most popular beaches. Since the beach is only accessible by a 30 minute track from the nearest carpark, you’ll find yourself winding through native bush and beholding sheer cliff faces before reaching the gorgeous stretch of sand.


Situated on top of a volcanic plate with the strong smell of sulphur welcoming you, the town of Rotorua is one of the most unique places in the world. Explore the geothermal wonderland that is Wai-O-Tapu, complete with exploding geysers, brightly coloured lakes, hot springs and steaming craters.

Milford Sound

This spectacular Fiordland is situated in the South East corner of New Zealand and is home to jagged cliffs and cascading waterfalls. You might find yourself ill-prepared for the sheer beauty of thousands of waterfalls, sunbathing seals, and a 10% chance of seeing the sunlight illuminate The Sounds since it rains 90% of year!